GA Notes – 12-20:
- Demands committee meets Thursday 5:30. Jan. 6th is the deadline for California ballot measures.
- Finance Committee: Working on possibly moving meeting place to someplace other place besides Downtown Johnny Brown’s for meetings. Minuses for moving outside: Rainy weather. Eavesdropping too easy, don’t want to share anything with people who might really same to police or even SDPD directly hearing what’s being said. Issue and possible proposal were tabled.
- Education committee would like to get the library set up again a week from Saturday.
- Teach-in (concert?) will happen a week from Saturday at 6 PM at Lincoln HS. Food will be provided
- Wellness committee will start a Facebook page tonight; the committee needs to know occupiers’ needs, i.e. meds for diabetics. Tentative plans are to start wellness visits for Occupy San Diego on Saturday at 9 PM.
- Arts and entertainment committee (Hex) would like to get this committee started and a few on board to start making things happen.
- Occupy Greyhound: Talk to Chris McKay about help with getting to DC and back via Greyhound
- Zenyatta (sp?) has a holiday planning meeting at 5:30 tomorrow. Stuff like a handmade gift exchange.
- Facilitations committee proposed having fewer GAs, i.e. M, W, F, Sat and having the other days open mic free speech sessions Stack was opened for a short time then we decided to do crowdstorming. Concerns about coming down from afar only to find there is no GA. It’s a crapshoot. Ernie would like GA to continue to meet daily as has been ever since Oct. 7th. People need to have a way of knowing when upcoming events or discussion times will happen. Have casual/formal GA days every other day it would alternate one to another. Results of crowdstorming:
- Have GAs four times a week, continue open mic (no details)
- Ratification process where proposals would have to be consensed upon for two out of three consecutive GAs.
- Suggest that facilitation committee meet again.
- Occupy San Diego Is a young movement, why change so early?
- People have issues with coming some days, due to work commitments or other reasons.
- Feel having fewer GAs would decrease level of involvement.
- Point made that different people make it every night.
- Have open mic every day
- Not in favor of substituting open mic for GAs.
- Where’s the evidence that having fewer GAs would work better for the movement.
- Michael Basillas very concerned about the movement losing momentum.
Topic tabled until tomorrow.
Proposal to call all applications to suggest writing “we” in as a write in candidate for elective offices. An excellent discussion was opened up on this and we talked about how best to leverage the elections and whether we ever want to endorse a candidate for any elective office. Also of corporate personhood and Move to Amend (constitution change prohibiting corporate personhood. One occupier suggested that we try to organize third party convention to attract the far right and far left (for lack of better terms) who have given up on the political process. To get the non-voter involved. To be continued! There will be a working group after GA on this issue. The proposal by its very nature produced excellent interchange at this GA and very likely will continue to do so. Sort of a rhetorical question that gets people seriously thinking about where we’re going with Occupy.
Tomorrow night there will be a GA agenda item on media committee transparency and accountability going forward. There are a number of issues with supposedly missing equipment and also Occupy San Diego not having a way to have passwords accessible without giving that to the entire occupation.
At 5 PM there WILL be a facilitation committee meeting.
Great GA, occupiers!
Thanks @Chris West for taking the Minutes!